Saturday, March 6, 2010

Watch out for the TRAM!













Leaving Tallinn our class took an hour ferry to Hellsinki, Finland. This ferry was the size of a cruise ship and had shops, supermarkets, and dinning areas all aboard. Since DIS was paying for our dinner we ate at the buffet, which had the most amazing desserts. Our class literally just sat there for 45 minutes eating and drinking until we were content. However, half way through the trip we noticed the amount of ice that was in the water. Since it was so dark I couldn't snag a picture, but you have to believe that this looked like a scene from Titanic. I decided to follow my friend Mike up to the outside deck where the - temperatures completely took the breath away from your body and you legitimacy felt like you could fly off the deck at any moment. This was one of the most trilling experiences I've had thus far and my friends and I all agreed this was the reason we studied abroad. When in my life would I ever be standing on a ferry looking out at the Baltic Sea covered in ice heading to Finland? It just seems so unreal and besides my sea sickness I actually loved the ride. Yes I did get sick and my professor thought that sticking my head out the window to "vom" would be the best possible decision. Negative! haha

Arriving in Finland we were greeted by snow piles that were monstrous. That how I knew I was in Scandinavia and as the Fines say " Welcome to Hell...sinki...." The Fines in my experience are very reserved and cold. They do not believe in chit-chatting and find it completely rude if you try and make small talk. There must be silence and they take offense if you try and break that silence. My host dad and I were talking about this and he said that Americans are just raised to believed that silence is awkward, but it Finland silence is a necessity. That is definitely a big difference between Denmark and Finland.

While in Finland I visited many different doctors offices to learn about the Finnish health care system. I also learned that 6% of the population is Swedish speaking and thus all signs are in Swedish and Finnish. My best academic visit was seeing the "baby swimming" facilities and health and wellness center of Hellsinki. The catch phrase "baby swimming" was then coined the entire trip due to the way the Sweds sing song the term. We were actually able to see the baby swimming facilities through a large window. How weird is that? Thirty Americans pressing there noses up to a glass window to see a Swedish mother, child, and swimming instructor in action? Well it was funny and random at the time...actually it still it. haha

Hellsinki has definitely been my favorite place I've visited. The transportation system is amazing and the Trams are the most efficient and easy way to get around. The city itself is not too big and is perfectly laid out.

Memorable Moments
1. Getting hit on by a 55 year old man at Molly Malones
2. Dancing with a Swiss ice hockey player and getting it on tape
3. Taking the polar plunge twice- Jack was right it does feel like a thousand knives stabbing you
4. Eating late night food with some classmates and speaking Italian to the Egyptian men who worked there
5. Finding awesome rain boats with Audrey
6. Going to the indoor flee market
7. Walking around Hellsinki without a care in the world.

Things to do in Hellsinki
1. Eat an donut from Arnolds (they're world famous)
2. Ride the Tram without any specific destination in mind
3. Go into a Finnish mall
4. Experience a Finnish Sauna and take the extreme risk of taking the polar plunge
5. Drink at Molly Malone's bar
6. Make friends with a Swedish-Finnish person- they are the sweetest people!
7. Visit the Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art

No comments:

Post a Comment